Mizell Senior Center

About

Mizell’s on-site activities are a vital resource for the more than 60,000 visitors we welcome annually. Our multi-faceted network of programs and services is designed to support independence, promote lifelong learning and sustain an active and engaged lifestyle. Every weekday, members and guests bring vibrancy to more than 50 separate activities, lectures, classes and creative arts pursuits. From tech tutorials in the computer lab to art classes, dance classes, Spanish language instruction and film screenings, there is something for everyone. Most importantly, Mizell’s welcoming space offers community and kinship for adults from diverse backgrounds and life experiences. A portion of our weekly schedule is devoted to a full range of wellness programs. We offer 7-10 fitness classes in multiple disciplines, a variety of support groups and our pioneering falls prevention program, A Matter of Balance. Additionally, Mizell’s longstanding partnerships with medical care providers deliver a regular schedule of free basic medical screenings, lectures and interactive seminars. Falls Prevention - A Matter of Balance A Matter of Balance is an evidence-based course designed to help older adults reduce the fear of falling and address the barriers that may prevent them from maintaining a healthy level of activity. Introduced at Mizell in 2013, the demand for service exceeded our most optimistic projections. Now, A Matter of Balance classes are conducted in English and in Spanish at 30 host sites from Desert Hot Springs to the Salton Sea and everywhere in between. To date, more than 1,500 men and women have taken the course. Mizell is the only organization licensed to provide A Matter of Balance in Riverside County and it remains the only community-based, comprehensive falls prevention program offered in the Coachella Valley. Nutrition Programs – Meals on Wheels Mizell’s Meals on Wheels program serves approximately 1/3 of all home delivered meals in the Coachella Valley. In the last fiscal year, we delivered a total of 186,271 meals in an effort to mitigate the persistent issue of food insecurity among seniors. We prepare and deliver over 500 nutritious meals every weekday on routes that stretch from Whitewater to the Salton Sea. Deliveries are made to homebound and often isolated seniors and to 8 congregate lunch sites, including other senior centers, throughout the Valley. Our staff drivers are certified in CPR and receive training to recognize health and social issues to allow for early intervention. And, they deliver so much more than just meals. Congregate meal delivery addresses issues of loneliness, enabling people to have a healthy meal in a communal setting while for homebound clients, the visit from their driver is often the only social interaction they will have on any given day. The Meals on Wheels program is made possible through a contract with the Riverside County Office on Aging, which provides 80% of the funding while Mizell is responsible for raising the remaining 20%. Ours is the only such program in Riverside County without a waiting list, since we will never turn away an eligible senior. We are committed to never placing a senior in the position of having to choose between buying food or purchasing their medication. For information on membership, our community-based programs or to make a donation, please visit our website at www.mizell.org or call us at 760-323-5689. Listing is generously sponsored by Grace Helen Spearman Charitable Foundation. www.gracehelenspearman.foundation/home ________________________________________


Additional Information

Contact Name Harriet Baron, Director of Development (760) 323-5689 ext 118 - harrietb@mizell.org

Contact

480 S. Sunrise Way
Palm Springs, CA

92262

Get Directions

Is this your listing?

Advertisement
Issue 15